Whiteheads are closed comedones which appear as raised lesions and are basically a type of acne. They are more commonly seen in teenage years but can also appear in adults. The white color is due to dead skin cells along with oil, excess and sebum get trapped beneath the skin. However this can be taken care of by using some ingredients in the kitchen, some easily available products at the local pharmacy and also by help of a dermatologist by treatments. So here we will explore some solutions for getting rid of these whiteheads.
What treatment options are available for good riddance of face whiteheads?
There are various different treatment options available to clear out whiteheads. The choice of treatment can be done starting from home remedies and then proceed further towards professional treatment by dermatologist if they fail to show their effect.
A] Home remedies
1. Honey :
- Honey posses anti microbial properties which can be traced to its mild acidity levels along with hydroxide peroxide which is also present in it.
- This can help to fight acne causing bacteria and the viscosity that it has can also form a shield from causing more infections.
- A simple honey mask by using honey alone with a little water or honey combined with a little lemon juice can definitely help, apply it on the affected area and keep for 15 to 20mins and wash it off with lukewarm water.
2. Tea tree oil :
- Tea tree oil has anti-microbial properties in it.
- However it is recommended that you mix it very well in some carrier oil in a bowl before applying it on the whiteheads with a fresh cotton swab and letting it be undisturbed for 15 to 20 mins followed by patting it dry.
- The choice of carrier oil can be coconut, jojoba or olive oil.
3. Witch hazel :
- Witch hazel is available as a solution.
- It belongs to a category of compounds called as astringents thus helping to open up the closed pores by causing the skin to contract.
- However care must be taken not to apply it too much as it can cause skin dryness and irritation.
- Dip a cotton ball in the solution and apply twice daily
4. Apple cider vinegar:
- Apple cider vinegar due to the presence of acetic acid in it has anti-bacterial properties and also has some anti-inflammatory
- The anti bacterial property can help to fight off the bacteria that cause acne.
- Use some of the solution and apply it on the affected area and keep it for 15 to 20mins before washing it off with water.
B] Products available at the local pharmacy
- Salicylic acid belongs to a class of beta hydroxyl acid.
- It has good exfoliating properties i.e. it helps to shed the outer dead layers of the skin and also within the pores thus help in unclogging the pores.
- This acid also helps in reducing the excess sebum and oil
- It is available in the market in many forms such as creams, lotions, gel, toners etc
- Retinoids are nothing except synthetic forms of Vitamin A.
- .However this is more powerful than their vitamin A counterparts so one should be cautious when using these creams.
- If any form of irritation occurs then hyper pigmentation can occur and people with allergies should also first consult a dermatologist before using these creams.
- Also another word of caution is that this compound makes your skin more sensitive towards sunlight so using a sunscreen while stepping out is very much a necessity.
- The food you eat also affects the whiteheads because they are a form of acne.
- Watch out for oily and spicy food as it aggravates the acne and causes more sebum and oil to be produced.
- Go for healthy options such as salads, fruits, vegetables etc.
- And avoid foods such as deep fried French fries, chicken etc and junk food such as chips, pizzas, burgers etc.
D] Seek a dermatologist
- If inspite of taking all the above measures the whiteheads are still a nuisance to you then you can seek help of a board certified dermatologist and explore cosmetic treatments.
- There are many treatments available such as fractional laser or CO2 laser etc
White heads can be a nuisance since they give your face an unacceptable look. They however can be treated by a myriad of treatments. You can go for any of these and if nothing works then a board certified dermatologist will surely help you with this. If you are interested to know more about Whiteheads and their treatments then you can contact our expert dermatologist at AllureMedSpa, Andheri.