About the process
If you are morbidly obese and your consistent efforts through exercise and diet control have failed to yield any positive results, the best option is asurgical procedure that promises to help you lose weight and is also completely adjustable and totally reversible.
Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding (LAGB) is used to treat severe obesity, which is linked to high blood pressure, high cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, and arthritis.
Your doctor might recommend LAGB if you have a body mass index (BMI) greater than 40. Your doctor might also recommend it if you have a BMI between 35 and 40 and a medical condition such as sleep apnea, high blood pressure, heart disease, or type 2 diabetes.
The Gastric Banding Advantage
Laparoscopic gastric banding is both adjustable and reversible. It restricts the volume of the solid food that you eat without interfering with your body’s ability to absorb nutrients. There is no permanent change to your anatomy, and the procedure can be reversed if necessary.
What is Laparoscopic Gastric Banding Procedure
In Gastric Banding, with the help of tiny cameras an inflatable band is placed around the upper part of the stomach to segregate it from the lower part. The band creates a smaller stomach pouch, restricting the amount of food that can be consumed at one time. The band also increases the time it takes for the stomach to empty. As a result, patients achieve sustained weight loss by limiting food intake, reducing appetite and slowing digestion.
The gastric banding procedure works by restricting the amount of food the stomach can hold.
There is no cutting or stapling needed to separate the upper stomach pouch from the lower stomach. The Gastric Band can be adjusted to suit your needs.
At Allure MedSpa obesity is managed by our multi-disciplinary team including doctors, dieticians, surgeons, nurses and psychologists under the able competence of internationally acclaimed surgeon Dr. Milan Doshi.
The Gastric Banding is done using minimally invasive laparoscopic surgical methods along with the latest de-risking techniques. We endeavor to make the erstwhile perceived complex bariatric procedures doable in least time, less scarring, reduced discomfort (pain-free), and much shorter recovery time.
The Gastric Banding procedure is done under general anesthesia. At AMS, we understand how critical anesthesia is to a surgery. Hence we have highly trained anesthetists who administer it with minutest care and ensure you have a discomfort free surgery.
Privacy & Confidentiality
We at Allure MedSpa care follow highest standards of privacy and confidentiality ensuring additional comfort for our patients.
REST & RECOVERY
The procedure takes about 40 minutes and can be performed on an outpatient basis with no required hospital stay. Recovery times may vary, but patients can generally return to work and normal activities within four to seven days.
Because the surgery uses laparoscopic techniques, patients experience less post-operative pain, recover quicker and are able to return to normal activities sooner, compared to other forms of bariatric surgery.
- Return to work varies from one to three weeks depending on the type of work.
- No heavy lifting (more than 10lbs) is allowed for four to six weeks after surgery.
Cost For Laparoscopic Gastric Banding Surgery
Allure MedSpa which is renowned for its state-of-the-art internationally acclaimed services, offers affordable and cost effective bariatric procedures. To know more about the cost of your procedure request a consult by filling the form below.Your surgeon will be able to offer you full explanations and answers to all of your queries.
Alternatively, our Counselor will call you at your convenient time. Request a consultation right away: Book an appointment
Testimonials For Laparoscopic Gastric Banding Surgery
Quick Facts for Laparoscopic Gastric Banding Surgery
Are you the right fit for the procedure?
If Your BMI has been over 40, or between 35 and 40 with 2 co-morbidities (obesity related disease, for example, high blood pressure, diabetes, arthritis) and your consistent efforts through weight loss and diet control have failed to yield any results, our surgeon will consider your chances and help you in taking the best decision.
Comprehensive care, before, during & after surgery
At Allure MedSpa, we don’t simply provide surgical solutions to obesity; we recognize your needs extend beyond the surgical procedure itself.
Our dedicated post-surgical section is designed with your comfort and care in mind. Our entire staff from to the expert team of anesthesiologists to nurses, will ensure you are treated with utmost care and warmth.
The Aftercare Advantage
At Allure MedSpa, we offer a comprehensive aftercare programme following weight loss surgery to ensure that you change your eating habits and lifestyle choices to ensure long-term success.
Your postoperative program will include:
# Ongoing lab work, including vitamin level analysis
# Discussion of diet, exercise & supplements
# Customized individual eating plan
# Dietician support
# Access to psychological support
Pre-operative requirements in order to undergo surgery
- You must have a dietician evaluation.
- In addition to a complete medical history, your physician and anesthetist will perform a complete physical examination to ensure you're in good health before undergoing the procedure. You will undergo blood tests or other diagnostic tests.
- You may be asked to begin exercising and alter your diet some weeks before surgery.
- If you're a woman of child-bearing age, you may receive birth control counselling so that you do not become pregnant in your first year after surgery due to the risk to the fetus from rapid weight loss.
Patient preparation before weight loss surgery
Your surgeon will explain the procedure and give you specific information regarding preparing for surgery. You might be advised to:
- Quit smoking and discontinue the use of all tobacco and nicotine products as it may lead to delayed wound healing after the surgery.
- Drink more water and limit other beverages.
- Stay mentally and physically fit by focusing on your health.
- Not to eat or drink anything for 10-12 hours before surgery and have a light dinner because the stomach must be empty before anesthesia.
- Ask a friend or family members to be at the hospital during the surgery for support.
Book Surgery with Allure MedSpa
- Plan your travel dates and simultaneously check with us for doctor’s availability on those dates.
- Send us a copy of your air tickets
- We shall accordingly plan your consultation and Concierge service (optional) and get back to you with all details
- Note: We do not ask for any advance payments or deposits.
Allure MedSpa concierge service
Allure MedSpa’s clientele comprises of local, out-of-town patients. A good percentage of patients also "fly-in" from out of the country to have surgery with our renowned surgeons.
We are pleased to offer and arrange comfortable lodging, restaurant, and commuting to ensure a memorable pre-and post-surgical experience for our out-of-country patients. Please feel free to contact the Counselor +91 9869041559 for assistance with any of your travel and planning needs.
The procedure generally delivers weight loss of 50–60% of excess weight in 2 years. You will be on a liquid diet immediately after surgery. This is followed by a slow transition to small, healthy meals of regular food.
The band is first adjusted about six weeks after surgery, and future adjustments are determined by your weight loss and the amount of food you can eat.
Results will last for
The results from Gastric Banding can be sustained for life provided you follow the Allure MedSpa aftercare instructions and adhere to the dietary and lifestyle changes prescribed. Our comprehensive aftercare program offers you the support and encouragement you need for long-term success.
However, these results may vary widely. Gastric banding procedure can be reversed if necessary, and in time, the stomach generally returns to its normal size.
Next consultation if required
At Allure MedSpa, our support doesn’t end when you achieve your weight-loss goals. Lifelong follow-up with our multidisciplinary team is encouraged, helping you to achieve and maintain optimal results.For more information on weight-loss surgery and our extensive aftercare program or to Book an appointment, call Allure MedSpa at: 022 – 26732961/62/63
Laparoscopic Gastric Banding Surgery Before and After Photos
Laparoscopic Gastric Banding Surgery FAQs
- What is laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding?
Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding (LAGB) is one of the least invasive operations available for obesity. It’s done with a few tiny abdominal cuts, instead of with one large cut. The surgeon puts instruments through the cuts. One of those instruments is a laparoscope, a tool with a tiny camera. The surgeon uses these tools to place a band around the top portion of the stomach, leaving a very small pouch available for food. The small pouch means that you feel full after eating only small amounts of food. This will help you lose weight. As its name suggests, the procedure can be adjusted and even reversed.
- What are the risks for laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding?
Laparoscopic surgery carries fewer risk factors than open surgery because you don’t need a major cut, or incision. Although complications from surgery are less common with laparoscopic surgery, they could include blood clots, bleeding, or infection. Other LAGB complications can include band slippage, puncturing the stomach, or blocking the flow of food through the band.
- How do I get ready for laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding?
Your doctor will make sure that you are a good candidate for LAGB. You should also get surgical clearance from your own health care provider. It is not unusual to have an office visit, blood work to test for nutritional deficiencies and other problems, and an electrocardiogram (ECG) to make sure you have no pre-existing problems.
If you’re a smoker, you must quit before surgery and should not start again.
- What happens during a laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding?
- You will have general anesthesia during the surgery.
- The surgeon will make several small cuts in your abdomen so he or she can put in the necessary surgical instruments.
- A gastric band made of a special rubber material will be put in place around your stomach and then tightened so that the upper part of the stomach forms a small pouch.
- The surgeon will leave a small port under the skin of your stomach. If the size of the pouch needs to be increased or decreased, a doctor can insert a needle into the port and inflate or deflate the band, which works like a balloon, and compresses the channel in the stomach around which the band has been placed.
- LAGB usually takes 30 to 60 minutes.
- Will my diet change after the surgery?
Yes, every person meets the dietician before the surgery. The dietician will help you to learn the techniques of healthy eating that will help you to maintain a healthy diet. It is best to eliminate sweets and fatty substances to maintain a healthy weight.
- Is the surgery safe?
Yes, it is a very safe surgery. The incisions made in the surgery is quite small. No foreign element is introduced in the body and no removal of skin and tissues is done. With a little amount of exercise and consuming balanced diet will help in maintaining your weight. Dr. Milan Doshi will discuss about its side effects during the consultation process.
- What is the recovery period of the surgery?
The surgery takes an hour to conclude and the patients typically spend less than 24 hours in the hospital. In a week’s time the patients can resume with their work. In six months the patient can start with their daily exercises.
- How much weight will I lose?
It varies from person to person. However, you will have to follow certain discipline for a quicker weight loss. You should be committed to your new lifestyle and good eating habits. It is important to set achievable target of weight loss at the beginning of the surgery. Otherwise, you will be disappointed. Your main aim should be to get more fitter each passing day.
- Can I continue with my physical activity after the surgery?
The surgery will not affect any type of physical activity such as aerobics, yoga or any form of exercise. However, you should avoid it immediately after the surgery. Your surgeon will advice you about it.
- Can the band be removed?
The band is not supposed to be removed. After the removal your stomach will generally return to its original shape. There is possibility that you might get back to your original shape or gain weight after it is removed.
- Will it have any effect on pregnancy?
Becoming pregnant gets easier if you lose weight. Good news is that the menstrual cycle will also become regular. The band can be loosened and adjusted if you feel like eating more during the pregnancy. The band can be made tighter after the pregnancy so that you can resume losing weight.
- Can I consume alcohol?
Alcohol has a high number of calories. Therefore it should not be made a regular habit. Occasional drinking is fine.
- What is the cost of Laparoscopic Gastric Banding?
For an estimate on how surgery will cost, we recommend you to call us on +919869041559 or fill an enquiry form so that we can contact you for detailed discussion.