What should I expect during a consultation for a mommy makeover?
During your mommy makeover consultation be prepared to discuss:
• Your surgical goals
• Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
• Current medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
• Previous surgeries
Your plastic surgeon will also:
• Evaluate your general health status and any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors.
• Examine your breasts, abdomen, genitalia, and/or buttocks and take measurements of their size and shape, skin quality and skin thickness.
• Take photographs.
• Discuss your options and recommend a course of treatment.
• Discuss likely outcomes of mommy makeover surgery and any risks or potential complications.
Be sure to ask your plastic surgeon questions. It’s very important to understand all aspects of your mommy makeover.
It’s natural to feel some anxiety, whether it’s excitement for your anticipated new look or a bit of preoperative stress. Don’t be shy about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.
How should I prepare for a mommy makeover?
In preparing for mommy makeover surgery, you may be asked to:
• Get lab testing or a medical evaluation
• Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
• Stop smoking
• Avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
Mommy makeover surgery is typically performed in a hospital or ambulatory surgery setting, and will likely use general anesthesia. Some follow-up procedures may be performed on an outpatient basis, and local anesthesia with sedation may be used. These decisions will be based on the requirements of your specific procedure and in consideration of your preferences and your doctor’s best judgment.
What are the steps of a mommy makeover procedure?
Step 1 – Anesthesia
Medications are administered for your comfort during the surgical procedure. The choices include intravenous sedation and general anesthesia. Your doctor will recommend the best choice for you.
Step 2 – Surgical procedures
The steps for the various procedures that could be a part of your individualized mommy makeover surgery can be found below:
Mommy Makeover Recovery:
The recovery time is different for different mothers depending on the type of treatment one is undertaking. However, the procedure takes two to three weeks to recover completely.
After the procedure is completed, you will be asked to apply gauze or bandages to your incisions. An elastic bandage or support bra will minimize swelling and support the breasts. A compression garment may also be used to control swelling in the abdomen, waist and buttocks.
During this time, it is advised to take maximum rest and avoid doing vigorous exercises. Going to gym and lifting heavy weights including your children should be avoided. Bruising and swelling are common as the body goes through the healing process. Your surgeon will provide you with post treatment medications to subside the pain and swelling. It is important to note that the procedure might take around 6 months to see the complete result. Healing will continue for several weeks as swelling decreases and the shape of the breasts, abdomen, waist, genitalia and buttocks improves. You will need to visit to the surgeon for follow ups to get the best of the surgery.