How Breast Augmentation procedure is executed?
Step 1: Consultation
During your breast augmentation consultation be prepared to discuss:
• About your expectations and desired result from the surgery
• If you are on medication, or allergenic to something or are on drug overdose or have a medical history
• If you are taking any medications, vitamins, herbal supplements, alcohol, tobacco and drug use
• Family history of breast cancer and results of any mammograms or previous biopsies
Your plastic surgeon will also:
• Evaluate your general health status and any medical history or risk factors
• Scan and track down the measurements of your breasts, including detailed measurements of their size and shape, skin quality and placement of your nipples and areolas
• Take photographs
• Discuss about the type of augmentation you want to opt depending on the body type
• Discuss the final outcome of breast augmentation procedure and any risks or potential complications
The consultation is a one-on-one interaction with the surgeon, you can ask any doubts regarding the surgery. You can prepare a checklist of questions to ask your breast augmentation surgeon that you can take with you to your consultation. The consultation with the surgeon will give you an insight about the surgery.
It’s important to understand all aspects of your breast augmentation surgery. It’s natural to be nervous about it. Whether you are excited for your anticipated new look or have a bit of preoperative stress, do not shy away about discussing these feelings with your plastic surgeon.
Step 2: Prepare for breast augmentation
In preparing for breast augmentation, you may be asked to:
• Get a blood test done
• Get a breast screening done
• Avoid smoking
• Avoid taking aspirin and certain anti-inflammatory drugs as they can increase bleeding
• Stop taking recreational drugs, such as cocaine
• Take certain medications or adjust your current medications
Breast augmentation surgery should be performed in an accredited ambulatory surgical center or a hospital. This is for your safety. If your surgeon has a very informal setting, he or she may not be a board-certified plastic surgeon.
If your breast augmentation is performed on an day care basis, you should be accompanied by someone who will drive you home from the hospital or can stay with you on the day of the surgery.
Step 1 – Anesthesia
An aesthesia is administered for your comfort during the surgical procedure. The choices include intravenous sedation and general anesthesia. Your doctor will recommend the best choice for you.
Step 2 – The incision
Incisions are made in discreet areas so that scarring is not visible or is hidden under clothing. You and your plastic surgeon will discuss which incision options are appropriate for your desired outcome. Incision options include: along the areolar edge (peri-areolar incision), the fold under the breast (infra-mammary fold) and in the armpit (axillary incision). A belly-button approach is associated with a higher complication rate.
Incisions vary based on the type of breast implant, degree of enlargement desired, your particular anatomy, and the body type and patient-surgeon preference.
Step 3 – Inserting and placing the breast implant
After the incision is made, a breast implant is inserted into a pocket either:
A. Directly behind the breast tissue, over the pectoral muscle (a sub mammary/ sub glandular placement),when native breast tissue is adequate to cover the implant.
B. Under the pectoral muscle (a sub muscular placement) or dual plane implantation,when native breast tissue is thin, breast implant put behind the muscle or after cutting pectoral muscle placed horizontally in dual plane.
The method for inserting and positioning breast implants depends on the type of implant, degree of enlargement desired, your body and skin type and your surgeon’s recommendations.
Step 4 – Closing the incisions
Incisions are closed with layered sutures in the breast tissue and skin, skin adhesive or surgical tape to close the skin.Sutures are inside which is not visible on outside and there is no need for removal.
Over time the incision lines will fade. The quality of scar depends on many things, including your genetics, exposure of your body to nicotine and infection.
Step 5 – See the results
The results of breast augmentation are immediately visible.